Clean Water is Good for Business
Protect the Delaware River Watershed
The Business Case for Supporting Clean
Water in the Delaware River Watershed
By signing onto the Clean Water is Good for Business principles, you are joining a coalition of like-minded businesses who want to see smart policies implemented to protect the Delaware River Basin. Your support means you would like to receive updates on the campaign’s work and hear about opportunities to get involved in your community.
67% of small business owners are concerned that water pollution could hurt their business operations.
The Delaware River supplies drinking water for 15 million people, supporting a vibrant economy and million of jobs.
It’s a foundation for life. It’s also a foundation of business. The Clean Water is Good for Business Campaign understand the economic and environmental importance of having reliably clean water. The financial success of our businesses and the overall health of the communities within which we operate depend on it.
The Delaware River Basin is a valuable ecological and economic resource that supplies drinking water to five percent of the population of the United States. The Delaware basin contributes over $22 billion in annual economic activity supports 600,000 direct/ indirect jobs with $10 billion in wages in the coastal, farm, ecotourism, water/wastewater, ports and recreation industries. Even companies that do not directly rely on the basin to create their products need it to fulfill their day-to-day functions, as clean water is necessary to keep employees healthy and productive. Yet, water runoff and other contamination problems continue to threaten the Delaware River Watershed.
The Delaware River Basin provides significant economic benefits to the region and is worthy of protection. Without it, we risk further degrading our precious natural resources, squandering natural capital, and destroying economic opportunities, businesses, and communities. Clean water and smart environmental policy are essential to creating a vibrant and sustainable economy.
We all care about clean water.
Did You Know: More than 70% of small business owners believe clean water protections help spur economic growth.
JOIN THE COALITION BY SIGNING
ON TO OUR PRINCIPLES
● Clean water is a priority in the Delaware River Watershed and across the country. We as a society need to place more emphasis on the importance of clean water to our economy, our environment, and our quality of life.
● All water resources—including upstream sources like streams, wetlands, and other water bodies—must be protected, as all are essential to the functioning natural system. Successful protection will require a collaborative, regional approach while managing and treating water locally to maintain the local water balance, recharge aquifers, reduce water consumption, and reduce waste loads to the surrounding environment.
● Public and private spending to improve protections for the Delaware River Watershed is an economic necessity.
● Investment in clean, smart water technology and other market-based solutions are key tools to protect the Delaware River Watershed while simultaneously creating jobs and strengthening our economy.
● Protecting, managing and restoring land in the Delaware River Basin is crucial to a healthy watershed.
● Water quality data should be collected freely and shared easily between municipal, state, and federal government agencies, private entities, and the public.
Our Campaign Priorities
Delaware River Watershed: Clean Water is Good for Business
The Delaware River Watershed is a valuable ecological resource that supplies drinking water to five percent of the population of the United States and provides significant economic benefits to the region. This Watershed is worthy of protection, yet numerous threats to its water quality still exist. Without investments and smart environmental policy, we risk further degrading this precious natural resource, squandering natural capital, and destroying economic opportunities, businesses, and communities. The Delaware River Watershed: Clean Water is Good for Business Campaign understands the economic and environmental importance of having reliably clean water. The financial success of our businesses and the overall health of the communities within which we operate depend on it.
Create a comprehensive region-wide vision and strategy to preserve clean water, a healthy ecosystem, and economic opportunities.
Protecting, conserving, and managing the water resources of the Delaware River Watershed requires a coordinated and region-wide strategy. High-level government engagement from each state will ensure both the needed vision and support to advance basin restoration and protection.
Grow funding for conservation and water infrastructure within the Delaware River Basin.
Funding for the protection and restoration of the Delaware River Basin—the source of drinking water to 15 million people and a $25B economy—is woefully inadequate, especially when compared to available funding for other critical national waterways. All options, including federal appropriations, state and local sources like stormwater utilities and green bonds, and private investment, need to be pursued to increase overall funding.
Decrease stormwater runoff by investing in green infrastructure and better land-use practices
Excess water from rain and irrigation runs from streets, parking lots, lawns, and agricultural fields carrying with it chemicals, pesticides, and nutrients that can all negatively impact water quality in the river. Nature-based stormwater solutions and better land use practices can significantly reduce these sources of pollution in the river basin—and often at an overall lower cost than traditional stormwater infrastructure solutions.
Help us protect the Delaware River Watershed.
Join the Coalition: